Friday, August 16, 2019

Chargers Retro Sale

I haven't been to a Chargers game since they moved. I've only bought a couple of Chargers items from Burlington since the move. I went to Training Camp a couple of years ago because I wanted old jerseys because at the end of the day, I collect jerseys from all teams. When I went two years ago, I was disappointed. This year was a complete success.


Two years ago, there weren't many activities at camp. There were a few vendors and few activities going on while the players were doing drills on the field. If I remember correctly, bleacher seating was limited to season ticket holders. 

Fast forward to present day.

I headed to the OC Fairgrounds about 9:30 and paid $10 park half a mile from where Training Camp was taking place. For $20 I could park a block from camp. I made the trek with other fans wearing Rivers, Allen, and other players on their backs. The first thing that greeted us was this:




Also this:


Oh and this:

 There was truck outside of Camp with hats, shirts, and jerseys but it wasn't getting much business.

Before coming here, I had to register online. Once I registered, I got an e-mail telling me about the new stadium that's being built and they want me to be apart of it. 

Then I had to download their app so I could access my pass. I miss paper tickets.

I walked my half-a-mile and was told to present my pass. After that entered through a giant tent that was half merchandise and half trying to sell the new stadium and experience to you. There were fans checking out both sides of the tent. I quickly exited and tried to make it to my goal.

I spotted it far from the tent on the right side. There were tables set in a semi circle and a bunch of people were going through tubs of jerseys.

I made my way there and saw this:



Woohoo four jerseys for $100. 

There were six bins; three on one side and three on another. The jerseys were separated by manufacturer and color. I wanted a navy blue and powered blue jersey. If I could find four, great. If I couldn't, no big deal.

Buying game used NFL jerseys is tricky because of the different cuts of jerseys, finding a good size, and finding a player you like. I didn't recognize many of the players and I kept digging through these bins. I had made a list in the back of my head of who I wanted.

I ended up going to the other side with the Nike jerseys and I had better luck. Nike started their deal with the NFL in 2012, so these players were more current.

I got two players on my list and a random player I didn't know.

   
When I went to check out, I saw this:
 The person checking me out asked if I wanted another one but I decline cause I spent twenty minutes trying find these and I didn't think there was anything else I wanted. Based on the sheet, I was going to be charged $160. I was rung up and told $150. Sold.

I decided to stick around for awhile. More fans started to enter camp after 10AM. There were a lot Saints fans among the Bolts fans. On the field closest to us, the Chargers were warming up. Further away, the Saints were doing the same thing. I left after an hour as the Saints and Chargers were running drills together. Overall, I had a better experience at Camp than the last time I went. I got a good deal on the jerseys.


Charlie Whitehurst was drafted by the Chargers in 2006. He played five different teams and was primarily a backup quarterback.


Nick Novak was the Chargers kicker for five seasons. 


I didn't know who Vincent Brown was till I looked him up today. Vincent played at San Diego State and was drafted by the Chargers. He played for them for four seasons. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't of bought this because it's really tight on me. It looks really great though.

One more thing, these jerseys are weird. The Reebok jerseys I have, have a tag on the inside of the collar telling me what size and year the jersey was issued. These kind of have the same thing but there's a number right by it.

 Those white numbers are different on every jersey. NFL.com doesn't have a site like MLB where I can input those numbers. I haven't tried the Nike site yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment