Friday, January 18, 2019

Let's Make A Baseball Team

I was supposed to do this yesterday but I wasn't feeling well. 

I hastily put together this team based on the jerseys I owned. I learned a lot doing this exercise. 


First off, I believe I have about 29 different MLB players jerseys. I didn't include any minor league players. Second, the vast majority of what I have are relief pitchers. I was afraid that I wouldn't have any infielders. I just barely made it.

I have no bench, just a full bullpen.

To make this exercise as simple as possible, I used WAR (wins above replacement) in order to show the effectiveness of each player. I only used the WAR listed on Baseball Reference for his time on the team he played for, not overall career WAR. 


C - Hank Conger (Angels) WAR 2.1

Hank was the starting catcher for the Angels for several seasons.

1st Base - Jedd Gyorko (Padres) WAR 2.2  

Jedd only played one game as a first baseman for the Padres and he was the only jersey I had that qualified for the position. 

2nd Base - Howie Kendrick (Dodgers) WAR 1.5

Howie had a great career with Angels. His Dodgers tenure was okay.

3rd Base - Yangervis Solarte (Padres) WAR 6.2

I miss him on the Padres. So far he's had the longest tenure on the same team on this list.

Shortstop - Chase d'Arnaud (Padres) WAR -.6

Chase was a utility player who only played in 22 games with Padres. He has the shortest stint for position players.

Outfielders

Junior Lake (Cubs) WAR -.7
Jabari Blash (Padres) WAR -.6
Grant Green (Angels) WAR -.6


Starting Pitchers
Tyler Chatwood (Rockies) WAR 9.5
Drew Pomeranz (Padres) WAR 3.3
James Shields (Padres) WAR 2.9
Jason Marquis (Padres) WAR -.5
Edwin Jackson (Padres) WAR -.4

Relievers
Scott Elbert (Dodgers) WAR 1.5
Cory Luebke (Padres) WAR 2.2
Cam Bedrosian (Angels) WAR .2 (Still active so number can change)
Mike Zagurski (Yankees) WAR -.1
Josh Smoker (Mets) WAR -.4
Mark Lukasiewicz (Angels) WAR -.2
Jered Weaver (Padres) WAR -1.2
Josh Geer (Padres) WAR -.8
Drew Rucinski (Angels) WAR -.2
Marc Rzepcznski (Padres) WAR -.8
Brad Boxberger (Padres) WAR .2

Closer
Huston Street (Padres) WAR 3.8 

The total WAR of this team is 28.9. Using Baseball Reference as a guide, hypothetically this team is better than the 2018 Miami Marlins that had 9.3 WAR, the 2018 Baltimore Orioles that had 11.4 WAR, and the 2018 Cincinnati Reds that had 22.2 WAR. Of course, not having a bench would be a disadvantage. Also, I calculated WAR for those teams with everyone played on them last season. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment