Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Chargers Home Opener

So after spending many dollars on a season ticket package, last Sunday was a day I was looking forward to. I had been to the last two Chargers home openers and they won both of them. They lost the first game of season at Kansas City despite having a 21-3 lead going into halftime. I didn't know what to expect.



I arrived at the Old Town Trolley Station around 11AM and noticed the lack of people. Usually there are Chargers and the away team's fans waiting for the trolley around this time. The Jaguars don't really have a fan base but there should have been more Bolts fans.

I got on the empty trolley and I thought as we closer, that it would be standing room only. When we arrived at Qualcomm, it was still half full. The parking lot was full of tailgaters with their banners and tents with the Chargers' logos on them. It was a great sight to see in San Diego again.

I wanted to get in the stadium early to see my seat and I was hoping to win something by wearing my Season Ticket pin. I walked around the stadium a bit as fans started to file in slowly. I got to my seat and it was okay except it was in the sun for half of the game. I met my neighbors and they are long time season ticket holders and most of the people in my section are the same. I didn't win anything by wearing the pin and my neighbors only won club seats once by wearing it.

The players trickled out of the locker room for warmups and before the game started, four paratroopers landed on the field.

 The National Anthem was sung by All 4 One while a giant American flag was going to cover the field.
Yeah...I thought this was an omen for the game. They couldn't fix it, so they left the field without unfolding it.

The Chargers played really well. Phillip Rivers threw four touchdowns and the running game was excellent. Unfortunately, Danny Woodhead tore his ACL on a play.

I noticed that there were sections that were half full and the Chargers announced

52,165 fans attended. That's awful for a home opener. Maybe 20,000 people that would have been here went and saw the Rams play instead.

The Chargers won and I bought a program and another pin.

I got 10% off for being a Season Ticket member. I paid about $15 for the pin and program.

I had a good time except for being a bit sunburned.


Two last things:
Tim Tebow is selling lots of Mets merchandise.
People in LA paid more parking near the Coliseum than what I paid for my ticket to see the Chargers play.





No comments:

Post a Comment