Monday, August 1, 2016

Chargers Training Camp or ESPN NFL 2K5 Memories


I went to San Diego Chargers Training Camp on Sunday because they have a yard sale during it. I have been to several Chargers' games but had never been to their practice facility. So I decided to go for the adventure of it and maybe it would give me something to post about.


I arrived a half an hour early before gates opened. It was cool seeing fans decked out in their favorite Bolts gear and it reminded me that the season is about to start. The gates opened around 2PM and the fans made their way through the tight corridors. This was the first thing I saw..

Mission accomplished! I was the first person to visit the tent. They had jerseys, shirts, pictures, posters, and footballs for sales. They had several bins full of blue and white game used jerseys for $50. I have never owned an authentic NFL jersey and I wanted see and feel the difference between these and a replica. The numbers, names, and bolts are stitched on and they are so thick.

I was excited to look through and see if I recognized any of the players. I did find a few that I knew.



Igor Olshansky was crucial player on my NFL 2K5 game. He would make tackles and sacks and he was a good player in real life. Because these were used by men of above average size, it's a bit big for me. If I wear it in public, I may have to wear football pads so it fits better.



Okay I didn't know who this guy was but it had a Polish name on it and I had to buy it. Scott Mruczkowski actually spent his entire seven year career with the Bolts as a left guard and center. Notice that there are no sleeves on this jersey and the NFL logo has been removed from the collar. This jersey is really big on me. I may have to tuck it in to wear it.


Inside each collar is a tag that indicates the year issued and the size of the jersey. I am not sure what PB0 means.



They were selling these footballs for $20, which weren't sale for the public previously. On one side it has pictures of the Chargers' Pro Bowlers from 2013 and on the other side it has their signatures laser etched.

They were selling autographed footballs and mini helmets.

Quentin Jammer was another of my favorite Chargers' players in NFL 2K5. He would pick off so many passes from the other team. In real life, he had long and productive career with the Chargers. I paid $60 for this and it came with a certificate of authenticity.

After I spent a lot of money, I decided to watch the open practice.
There is a fence along the field where fans wait to get autographs. Other spectators sit on old bleachers made of wood and steel. After 3PM, the stands were getting crowded as more people kept coming.   


Along the practice facility are banners with each division or championship win. I forgot how good this team was a decade ago.



They were practicing special teams' plays here



Philip Rivers and the backs ups were doing drills.

I left around 3:30PM because I was tired, I wanted to beat traffic home, and I accomplished my goal. If I stayed longer, I could have gotten autographs but there would have been a lot of competition.

It was a cool experience and it they stay in San Diego, I'd go again.


No comments:

Post a Comment